This forms part of the amendment of the National Road Traffic Act -
created in 1996 - now Amended May 2009
Regulation - 309 - replaced by this regulation below:
Duties relating to motor cycle or motor tricycle:
(1) No person shall drive a motor cycle or motor tricycle on a public road
unless his or her feet are resting on the front foot-rests suitable for the
purpose and, where the design of such a motorcycle or motor tricycle makes it
possible to do so, he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such a motor
cycle or motor tricycle.
(2) No person shall on a public road carry a passenger on a motor cycle unless
such cycle has an engine with a capacity exceeding 50 cubic cm and unless such
a passenger is seated in a side-car or astride on a pillion attached
to such cycle and, in such latter event, the feet of the passenger are
resting on foot-rests suitable for that purpose.
(3) Subject to the provisions of subregulation (2), not more than two persons
shall ride upon a motor cycle on a public road, excluding a person riding in a
side-car attached to such motor cycle.
(4) Not more than two adult persons shall be carried in a side-car attached to a
motor cycle on a public road.
(5) No person or animal or object shall be carried on a motor cycle or motor
tricycle on a public road in front of the driver thereof. Provided that an
object of a non-bulky nature may be so carried if securely attached to the
motor cycle or motor tricycle or placed in a suitable carrier fitted
thereon for that purpose and carried in such a way as not to obstruct the
drivers view or prevent his or her exercising complete control over such a
motor cycle or motor tricycle.
(6) (a) Persons, other than traffic officers in the performance of
their duties, driving motor cycles on a public road, shall drive in
a single file except in the course of overtaking another motor cycle, and
two or more persons driving motor cycles shall not overtake
another vehicle at the same time. Provided that where a public road is
divided into traffic lanes, each such lane shall, for the purposes of this
paragraph, be regarded as a public road.
(b) for the purpose of paragraph (a), a
motorcycle shall include a motor tricycle
(7) No person driving a motor cycle or motor tricycle on a public road or seated
on such motor cycle or motor tricycle shall take hold of any other vehicle in
(8) Any person driving a motor cycle or motor tricycle on a public road
shall do so with at least one hand on the motor cycle or motor
(9) Any person driving a motor cycle or motor tricycle on a public road
shall do so in a manner that all the wheels of such motor cycle or motor
tricycle are in contact with the surface of the road at all times.
Regulation 320 of the act is hereby amended as
(a) of subregulation (2)(b): 21 days on the premises
of any traffic authority
(b) Added to clause after subregulation (8)
Provided that any motor vehicle which has been
impounded by a traffic authority and the owners or title holder having been
traced as contemplated in subregulation 2 fails to collect the vehicle within
12 months, such a vehicle may be sold to defray any costs incurred by the